[tech] A question of File System

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Wed Apr 24 22:04:48 WST 2002

> ext2/ext3's certainly not "slow". Directory operations are slow on
> large directories. ext3 in full-data-journalling mode is slow at
> writes, not that you'd typically run it that way. Both cream Solaris
> UFS and Veritas VxFS, generally speaking.

Old crappy Linux box.  CVS update or diff takes 2.6 seconds.

Same repository.  Sun box approx twice the specs of said Linux box
(ie. still rather old but at least with some decent hardware redundancy
in it).  Same CVS operations take approx 29 seconds.

Move LockDir to a specially mounted tmpfs partition (not just /tmp
because
it's a chroot environment I didn't have tmpfs mounted under initially).
Same CVS operations happen in under a second.

Solaris can usually be made to rock, given enough tuning.  The question
is
when the tuning is worth it, and when it isn't.

David.