[tech] meito (the new fileserver)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 13:30:00 WST 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:08:12PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> Sounds like a plan. It also makes room for /home to be expanded into (it's
> looking rather full atm, see /home/used.sorted for the worst offenders).

<grin>

morwong: ~>head -2 /home/used.sorted
610634  wheel/nick
582286  wheel/trs80

> What's the best method to move it across, preserving symlinks etc (I can
> never remember)?

Luyer's favourite: install GNU tar/cpio (already on morwong) and
"tar cf - ... | cpio -im". I still like dump, but I can't actually
see a /sbin/advfsdump or similar installed at the moment... Odd.

> Should morwong remain the TFTP server, or should meito
> fullfill that role?

meito, which means poking the xterms, I guess. Hydra possibly, but
adding another ethernet card to meito is easy enough. (if we wanted it
on another network as a do-everything boot-server)

[...]
> morwong's console is still getting "svcktcp_send: xdr_replymsg failed
> rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address 130.95.13.22" (meito) - NFS v3
> problems perhaps? I can't actually tell what NFS version is being used.

I tried mount/umounting it again, but no, it's still doing it. It
shouldn't be NFS anything given that nothing's currently mounted from
meito. <sigh> the perils of "umount -f".

Nick.

--
     Nick Bannon      | "I made this letter longer than usual because
  nick-sig at rcpt.to    | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal