[tech] meito (the new fileserver)

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 15:35:51 WST 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Nick Bannon wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:08:12PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> > What's the best method to move it across, preserving symlinks etc (I can
> > never remember)?
>
> Luyer's favourite: install GNU tar/cpio (already on morwong) and
> "tar cf - ... | cpio -im". I still like dump, but I can't actually
> see a /sbin/advfsdump or similar installed at the moment... Odd.

There's gtar, but no GNU cpio that I can see.

> > Should morwong remain the TFTP server, or should meito
> > fullfill that role?
>
> meito, which means poking the xterms, I guess. Hydra possibly, but
> adding another ethernet card to meito is easy enough. (if we wanted it
> on another network as a do-everything boot-server)

Hydra already has a mopd for the decservers. We only need hydra to
tftpboot for things that can't see across subnets.

> [...]
> > morwong's console is still getting "svcktcp_send: xdr_replymsg failed
> > rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address 130.95.13.22" (meito) - NFS v3
> > problems perhaps? I can't actually tell what NFS version is being used.
>
> I tried mount/umounting it again, but no, it's still doing it. It
> shouldn't be NFS anything given that nothing's currently mounted from
> meito. <sigh> the perils of "umount -f".

No, I think this is related to meito mounting /home from morwong - I'm
getting timeouts accessing /home on meito.

# UCC Treasurer        http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |