[tech] Re: [ucc] WAIX is back

Grahame Bowland grahame at azale.net
Fri Feb 1 00:08:31 WST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 02:57:16AM +1100, David Luyer wrote:
> > useful things?
> > >
> > > Not much. It only has AUX so you need lots of tranceivers and
> > > it will only do 10Mb. [...]
> >
> > I take it AUX is the plural of AUI? French?
>
> Doesn't AUX refer to a Cisco AUX port?  I'm impressed you got one
> running faster than 115,200 Grahame :-)

I blame this damn dvorak labelled keyboard :-)

> > > For extra cuteness it would be cool to:
> > >   - bring up a BGP session UCS -> UCC and show UCC WAIX
> > >     (with appropriate filters ;-)
>
> Yeah... for example:
>
>       muchacho <-> BGP <-> UCC AGS+
>
>       UCC box <-> UCC AGS+ <-> either UCS or Loop0
>                                based on BGP table
>                                (use an incoming route-map
>                                 to pervert next hops
>                                 of appropriate AS-paths)
>
>       AGS+ loop0 set to NAT incoming packets to WAIX
>       addresses
>
> ...or something like that should do it :)  Course you could
> do the same with Zebra on Linux too.

Yeah, I'm advertising the private address space to WAIX
from a zebra. Seems to work pretty well. Toivo is a RIP
only man and didn't want me to turn on BGP for muchacho.

> > What will that buy UCC tho?
> > Especially if the AGS+ only does 10Mb/s ?
>
> Bah.  Sell chocolates or something, and then buy a 7401ASR
> edge services router and a pair of redundant 6500s... should
> only take a century or two :-)))

We don't have to use the AGS. We could set up the uccrouter
running something sane, with decent network cards.

> > > Will investigate tommorow; I have a feeling the utility
> > > LAN goes somewhere near UCC (into the Guild maybe) and
> > > we can run VLAN trunks onto the dlink switches we were
> > > bought. We've been wanting to try that for real; UCC
> > > would be a good test.
> >
> > Dlink switches. *shudder*
>
> Come on, it could be worse - they could be Cabletron
> (Enterasys/Vertical Horizon).

Toivo didn't seem to have much trouble getting them to
do VLANs and talk to our Cisco gear. I doubt we can do
much clever with them though.

The most pain is our Bay accelar; afraid to touch the
config as it has been stable for at least 3 months!
The bloody thing has repeatedly failed, each time with
a plague of ports slowly failing over time.

Has anyone used Foundry or Extreme? I'd love to tell
you guys what our testing of Foundry stuff was like,
but it's NDAed :-) (Was amazed I had to sign an NDA
just to get a test router.)

Ericsson have been pushing Extreme as far as I can tell
but they've failed to send us a box to trial. It looks
like a horrible web-interface anyway.

--
Grahame Bowland <grahame at azale.net>