[tech] Acquisition of the UCC's SGI O2

warrick at lostris.wyvern.com.au warrick at lostris.wyvern.com.au
Tue Jan 22 22:37:00 WST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 07:18:18PM +1030, Dreisiger, Peter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In June last year, I received the following reply to an earlier email...
> I was basically wondering what the status of the O2 is.   I'd still be
> interested in the swap.

As I am the holder of the O2 at the moment, here is where it's at.

After discussing the issue with a couple of SGI engineers the conclusion
is either the Mainboard, or the CPU is fried. As such they estimated the
repairs at around $1500 + depending on if only one of the above is fried,
more if both parts are stuffed.

Whilst at this point I would not see an issue with a trade, if we get the
crimison it will melt in the ucc machine roome, and we have been collecting
large servers, can we fit it in the machine room?

The other point is the disk space in the crimison is smaller than our
other sgi's and look how bad the OS install is.

Just my thoughts.

Seeya,
Warrick