[tech] hydra is dead. long live hydra

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 31 22:11:53 WST 2002

hydra's hard disk failed sometime between Monday night and this afternooon
(it still routed ok though). First noticed it when dhcp didn't work and I
couldn't ssh in. The console was filled with lots of hdd errors as well.
So after bouncing it several times in the hope it would fix itself, I
brought it out it into the clubroom where Harry McNally and I tried
several different hard disks and concluded that the hard disk was dead. To
cut a long and painful story short[1], hydra lives with a fresh install,
2.2.19 kernel, routing but no useful services (eg dhcp, tftp, mopd, smb,
iptables). There are some ssh keys in the root account, no user accounts
as yet because I'm rather tired right now.

Anyway, thanks to Harry McNally for helping get hydra back on its feet.

[1] Now coming to a tech-support recovery newsgroup near you!

# UCC Treasurer        http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |