[tech] Overclocking Nautilus

proXy davyd at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 5 11:49:00 WST 2002

In an effort to make OSX run on more hardware. It has occurred to the RME
that Nautilus (currently 266MHz) could be safely overclocked to
315MHz. This would allow us to run OSX (10.1) nicely.

The beauty of being able to run OSX on Nautilus would be that then we
would be able to use NIS and NFS mounting for homedirs for users. (We have
established that these things exist while playing with Tangerine (Adrian's
Dutch iMac)).

It should also be noted that Nautilus is currently not running OSX server
anymore (someone broke it quite majorly). Henceforth OSX server was
removed, and the space repartitioned into a 4gig HFS partition available
from OS9.1

Nautilus' nifty video adaptor thingy has been set so that it can do
software resolution changing. This means that all those games such as
Airburst now change resolution properly.

Relevent docs on overclocking Nautilus are available for public access
(meaning that they are lying somewhere near skinner), and there is little
problem with cooling as currently Nautilus has no CPU cooling and
apparently an old pentium fan will suffice.

Also, overclocking Nautilus will make EVN run faster ;)

Comments or flames?

--proXy and coxy

(It has occurred to me that that signoff is mildy amusing)