[tech] home LAN + ADSL

Tiang Cheng chengt02 at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 14 21:05:53 WST 2002

i'm setting up a LAN at home for 6 computers, and hooking them up to the net
thru iinet's ADSL. I'm needing a 8 port hub/switch (100mbit), Cat 5 cables, and
network cards. also need an ide harddrive for my server. any recommendations on
specific hardware brands. (no-one seems to like D-link...but it's the only
system i'm familiar with.). anyone got spares they want to get rid off? will
pay if need to.

also, am wondering if there's going to be any issues running a linux server,
and Win98/XP/2k pcs trying to network them together. main issue is internet
access, although Lan gaming is next on the requirements list. :O). is there
goign to be any problems getting win98 pcs talking to win2k pcs?

it's pretty much going to be all the pcs hooked into the lan, and the server is
used as a gateway to the internet. any ideas on what type of lan to use?

UCC seems to have much experience with networking, hope i get some help?

Tiang