[tech] Burner vs. Diablo 2 (Re: [ucc] AGM Minutes)

David Manchester mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 23 18:35:40 WST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:06:26PM +0800, Elixxir wrote:

> Yeah...I mean I have nothing against the guys that play Diablo 2 (great
> game) but I have one quibble. The burner's on the Windoze box :-|
>
> Now, whenever someone wants to burn something they can't...as both burning
> and Diablo 2 take a heck of a lot of time. Can I suggest that a dedicated
> box be set up for the burner[1]  and call it the "Burning only box" or
> simmilar (ie. people that want to burn have priority over others).
>
> A low end pentium should suffice and when set up with linux would be great
> :)
> (although linux doesn't run Nero...which is a minus I can live with)

A Sparc2, Solaris an cdrecord would do fine.
The club has a Sparc2 doing nothing ATM.
Or you could put it on one of the under-used SGIs.
Linux, linux, linux, linux. tsk.

> I'm willing to help set this up if anyone agrees (I know this subject is
> best brought up in a meeting but what the heck...)
> [1] if this is done, a new burner is a must (2x is a bit antiquated.. :P )

Two points:

1) The current burner is 4x
2) "a must"? That bit should be put to committee. There aren't too many
legitimate reasons for a CD-burner in the UCC, so I don't see why the other
members should be financing easy w4r3z couriering for the current student
populous.

My 2c,
D.

PS: if you want me to set it up, I'll install the OS and the apps on the
SS2 for you.

--
" I don't get mad.... I get stabby. "
- William "Fat Tony" Williams.