[tech] Burner vs. Diablo 2 (Re: [ucc] AGM Minutes)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 23 20:20:30 WST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:35:40PM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
> A Sparc2, Solaris an cdrecord would do fine.
> The club has a Sparc2 doing nothing ATM.

It'd work, but you'd need plenty of temporary space for building and
rearranging CDs - a 4GB disc would do, but 9GB would be better. You'd
definitely want Solaris 8 for the loopback mount support, but that'd
run like a dog on a Sparc 2. Might be OK with enough RAM, if any
graphical front-ends are run remotely on xterms.

> Or you could put it on one of the under-used SGIs.

Well, they've got zero free space, but Adrian was planning on improving
that and doing a reinstall.

> Linux, linux, linux, linux. tsk.

The filesystem support is pretty handy for this sort of thing. 'Course
one of the downsides is that if we use PC hardware to do it we'll be
tempted to get IDE burners, which, even now, leave a bad taste.

[...]
> 2) "a must"? That bit should be put to committee. There aren't too many
> legitimate reasons for a CD-burner in the UCC, so I don't see why the other
> members should be financing easy w4r3z couriering for the current student
> populous.

You're most untrusting - home directory backups and free software not
good enough for you, eh? ::-)

Anyway, I think a DVD burner would be a better value investment - just
posted to ucc at ucc about that, but the technical banter can stay here.
<grin>

[...]
> PS: if you want me to set it up, I'll install the OS and the apps on the
> SS2 for you.

Sounds good.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal