[tech] Cisco 2900

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 4 01:47:57 WST 2002

Hi guys

We now have a Cisco 2900 in the middle of our network; 130.95.13.2.
I've got the latest code in /tftpboot on hydra, I'll look at updating
it tommorow. We'll plug morwong and the other important things into
it; should be cute as we can monitor ports and do MRTG graphs.

It has several VLANs configured. '2' is Clubroom, '3' is Machine Room
and '4' is Guild. Eventually we will plug the guild uplink into it, which
will allow us to reconfigure the network around a failed hydra remotely.

It only talks ISL at the moment, I doubt even the latest code will do
dot1q. So for now hydra still has all the ethernet interfaces. Perhaps
UCS will have a better spare switch in the future - the accelar could
also be lent, but it looked like too much pain.

Also, whoever owns the 7500 in the machine room please do something with
it or I'm going to make it into UCC router. It's but a PCMCIA flash card
away... and I can't see any reason a Linux box would do a better job for
UCC's needs. And the 7500 does v6, ISL and everything we could possibly
want.

Have fun
Grahame