[tech] Connection Problems

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 4 16:42:50 WST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Simon Fryer wrote:

> I have noticed that over the past couple of weeks I have had problems
> connecting to UCC. Traceroutes seem to go to parnet-uwa.parnet.edu.au
> and then die at villa.net.uwa.edu.au. When I can get a connection it
> progressed through villa.net.uwa.edu.au to ucsrouter.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au an
> so on. Is there any reason why ucsrouter is intermittently visable to
> villa.net.uwa.edu.au?

As others have indicated, the network hasn't been too stable. Between
dodgy dumterms taking out the guild machine room to hydra halting on
"Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue" when rebooting remotely (now
fixed in the BIOS) and myself occasionally taking down interfaces on
morwong at 1am, I'm surprised I haven't been flamed more. On the plus
side, there is now a DECserver providing serial console access to a few
machines, which should help prevent some things recurring in the future. A
second link into UCC wouldn't hurt either

# UCC Treasurer        http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |