[tech] Sane mail

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 4 21:22:38 WST 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 07:47:58PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
[...]

Your idea is great, as I said. My suggestion is just a tweak we can do
on mooneye; it makes no real difference either way and doesn't require
any different infrastructure. (Some took it badly for some reason, but
I have no particular desire to defend it now)

> We don't have mirrored disks, we
> don't have a locked down dedicated box and I seriously question the
> ability of the UCC to configure a machine in such a state.
[...]

A box like that was set up recently - meito. Actually, we're going to
have to consider doing something like that for any new server because
you can't trust a hard disc as far as you can throw it these days.

> I'm not keen on the everyone on IMAP idea beacuse you sacrifice so
> much flexibility. I might be interested in doing it on tartarus because
> we're providing defined services there, but at UCC it's a good idea
> to let people mess about with things and do things the way they want.

There's better solutions than everyone-on-IMAP, yeah. However, IMAP
will get a fair bit more useful when it's running on the same host as
the mail spool.

Nick.

--
     Nick Bannon      | "I made this letter longer than usual because
  nick-sig at rcpt.to    | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal