[tech] Centre table...

Davyd 'proXy' Madeley davyd at zdlcomputing.com
Thu Feb 13 22:05:08 WST 2003

Does the UCC have any spare switch hardware?

I was idly thinking, having a small switch and powerboard (screwed-down)
to the centre table would probably make it better for laptop users,
giving them somewhere to plug in, rather then having them stealing
points from the side of the room.
We could have cables emerge discreetly from the machine room going into
said devices on said desk. Plus, we could put them on a subnet that's
even less trusted then the UCC clubroom subnet. The same switch could
also be used for people setting up boxes in the UCC.
Perhaps we should also consider a bigger/better table and chairs for the
centre of the room??

Pluses as I see them:
 - we don't have people rearranging our network connections
 - we have people on a much anal retentive lan if we so wish
 - we have lots of easily accessable ports
Minuses:
 - we have a switch and powerboard screwed to the table, they _could_ be
stolen, though at $60 it's not that big an investment

It's just an idea I was thinking of.

I was also thinking of using the spare two pairs on the cat5 used to
sense the UniSFA door for data transmission, then we could get
UCC-network in UniSFA. Of course, it would make sense to only extend the
network that we use for LAN's up there, I don't trust those gastly
UniSFAns.

--Davyd

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA