[tech] RIP Cobbler

Matthias Liffers matthias at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 14 17:57:35 WST 2003

> The ex-cobbler (name suggestions please), requires a
> re-install for it to be made useful again. Please don't play
> with it until it's been backed up and reinstalled.

I don't know about the Linux install on cobbler, but the Windows install
definitely needs to be nuked and reinstalled.

The question is, which Windows should be put on it?  The choices are 98SE,
Me, 2K and XP.

Please, I don't want anybody saying "Not <insert version here> because it's
crap", I'm after people saying "We need <insert version here> because it
provides this or that feature."

I personally believe that either Me or XP should be put on there, and
cobbler should be kept as an insecure user box, so people don't screw up
cybium with all their crap.

Then again, I wouldn't mind a second secure user box (2K or XP) so that if
someone wants to use a Windows machine that won't crash every 30 seconds,
they have a higher chance of getting one.

Comments?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Flames?

Matthias <matthias at deiectus.com>