[tech] Re: [wheel] [[email protected]: Cron <root@mussel> /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg]

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 26 14:33:57 WST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:16:21PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Any ideas?
>
> Adrian
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Cron Daemon <root at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> -----
>
> From: root at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (Cron Daemon)
> To: root at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
> Subject: Cron <root at mussel> /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:15:04 +0800 (WST)
>
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.5
> libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.12
> gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> WARNING: rateup died from Signal 11
>  with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'bertoli.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au_1'
>  Signal was 11, Returncode was 0
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.5
> libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.12
> gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> WARNING: rateup died from Signal 11
>  with Exit Value 0 when doing router 'bertoli.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au_2'
>  Signal was 11, Returncode was 0
[...]

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:24:32PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003, James Andrewartha wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > libpng2/3 breakage. I've disabled the cron entry. Someone else was using
> > apt, so I couldn't upgrade it.
>
> Yeah. That was me. The upgrade requires .. well, lotsa packages to be
> upgraded. I didn't wanna break anything.
>
> So, have a look at the dependicies. :-)
>
> Adrian

We have to be a bit patient with Debian testing at the moment, it's
gummed up because libc6 hasn't been sufficiently bug-free in months.

The libpng2/3 transition was particularly ugly because of the complete
lack of ABI compatibility, and of the many things it touched. (e.g.
libgtk, hence all of GNOME) In this case, mtrg is directly using
libpng3, while loading a library that uses libpng2, or similar. Ugh.

So... speaking to everyone, try to keep mussel as clean as possible in
the interim, and if downgrading a package, or compiling the
One-Vital-Thing-I-Need-Now-Fresh-From-CVS into /usr/local, will
simplify things - consider that.  If you're upgrading, do a bit at a
time, and don't worry - if it breaks, it can be fixed, if you tell
someone.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal