[tech] Meito

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Fri Jul 11 13:47:21 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 13:26, Leighton Haynes wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 01:22:32PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to reinstall Meito with Linux rather than Solaris. The disk
> > performance is hideously bad, which makes it fairly worthless as a
> > fileserver. I suspect it just doesn't know how to talk to the IDE
> > chipset at a reasonable speed.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, meito has the following functions:
> >   * samba PDC
> >   * serving DNS
> >   * NFS exporting various things
> >   * file storage
> >
> > Anyone see any major reason not to reinstall?
>
> Can you back up everything to make sure nothing is lost during the
> reinstall, and can you provide me documentary evidence that the Linux
> box will suck less? ("I think Linux is better" does not count :P)

Yes, backup to mussel was the plan. Linux will suck less because it
won't be using pio to talk to the disks - we're getting horrid
performance out of the thing.

We *should* be able to get 30-40Mb/sec reads from it, we're actually
getting 1Mb/sec or so. Even without async writes, it's still going to be
better under Linux.