[tech] Disk for morwong

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 12:54:07 WST 2003

On Wed, 28 May, 2003 at 05:56:05PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2731603229&category=11160
>
> 1 day to go, currently at $305.

We kept an eye on it, thinking $500 was a fair price... unfortunately
with a couple of hours to go, it jumped to $800, then ended at $840.

> Compaq Proliant Storage Array 7x9.1 7200 HDD. UW interface, dual power
> supplies, 3 fans (good for ucc). Shipping is likely to be the only issue
> (it's in NSW). According to Nick, he and yakk are good for $200 each, plus
> UCC is probably good for a few hundred or so. Do we want to place some
> bids on it?

It was pretty good, but not at the price - we could do the
fully-populated 12x9GB 10Krpm D1000 thing for that.

I think ;

 * morwong should get an immediate, fairly modest upgrade, probably just
   of the internal discs. Easy, cheap, necessary.

 * we should also be thinking about a medium investment in a decent
   fileserver. RAID-10 (RAID-1E if anything supports it) on fast discs
   for /home, with a spare drive to [hot-?]swap in, in case of need,
   and a separate disc for root/swap. (If Solaris x86 didn't suck,
   meito would already be it ::-) )

We missed buying a faster morwong for $280, which is a pity:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3026941391

On Friday night [TRS], [MSH], Prep and I tried testing out one of my
Storageworks bricks in morwong - I pulled out the unknown quality 4GB
Seagate Barracuda and stuck in the 9GB Quantum Viking II we had - it
fit physically, but we think the SCSI ID layout changed and it clashed
with the tape drive, so it didn't quite work smoothly. There's an extra
4GB in morwong now, but even if it's error free, that's not really
enough to do any useful shuffling.

So... the current plan is, on Saturday 7th June 2003:

Shuffle morwong's discs. Rip out the DDS2 tape drive and play with SCSI
jumpers if necessary. Ideally, borrow SCA storageworks bricks from
[TDH] or Prep and use a disc or two off the PPro Netserver, plus the
spare 9GB SCA drive we have.

At some stage we'll need to upgrade morwong to Tru64 v5.1b, too, but
that'll take a while, and we had trouble reading the UCS media.

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:18:24AM +0800, Alastair Irvine wrote:
> Put me in for a hundred.  If shipping costs more than expected I'll put in
> for some of that too.  Has anyone bid yet?

Is that $100+ still available for other fileserver upgrades?

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal