[tech] Partition Problem

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 6 10:21:29 WST 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 07:49:25AM +0800, Aaron Alderman wrote:
> After deleting my linux partitions (ie main partition, swap space and not
> used boot partiion) I used PartiionMagic 8.0 to combine them back into the
> main large NTFS partiion. The swap space and linux boot partition did not
> recombine properly and hence an error was produce.
[...]

Oh, that's easy. You know the bit where everyone always makes a copy of
the partition table and their important data before using these
resizing tools. Well, you just restore from that and... Oh. Ah. Hmmm...

Well, try the Windows install disc repair, and failing that boot off a
rescue system and see what you can do. These days, that's Knoppix -
burn a recent copy (like
ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso
) on cybium and see what you can do. It has tools like "ntfsinfo" that
might help you examine what's left, but "ntfsresize" won't be much help
at this point.

Knoppix Data Recovery HowTo/Computer First Aid Using Knoppix:
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Your data's mostly still there. Worst case, it's a question of how long
you're willing to pore over it with a sector editor (lde) looking for
recognisable text and magic cookies ( /usr/share/misc/magic ).

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal