[tech] Re: UCC uplink network upgrade

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Mon Jun 23 23:09:53 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 16:08, David Cake wrote:

> 	I have already sent the Guild a quote, using Alloy switches,
> 4 core fibre.
> 	How much is UCC willing to chip in?

Original plan was half of the price of the Cameron Hall switch, and any
UCC specific costs to link the clubroom to it. We're good up to $500 or
so without going back to UCC committee.

Cheers
Grahame

PS: The D-Links are awful. We're having a LOT of trouble with them
around the utility LAN at the moment. They seem to get into a state
where they'll forward packets but the management stuff stops working,
and then ports randomly start failing. It's not just one switch either..
the replacements we get work, but it's still a pain having to shuffle
bits about.