[tech] Mussel cleanup

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 8 02:16:06 WST 2003

Hi all,

Mussel now has 800Mb free on the root partition, thanks to a bit of
judicious weeding out of crap. I've tried to avoid uninstalling anything
todo with the various cool projects people have; things blown away
include:
  * emacs20; people can just use xemacs, or vim.
  * /space/cross-compilers; 250Mb of Grahame's MIPS cross-compiler
    he'd forgotten about. The existing ARM/other cross-compilers
    remain, because people are using them
  * many "*-doc" packages, because we almost certainly don't use them
    and they can be reinstalled as needed
  * abiword, because the stupid debian package was using 300Mb to
    take a copy of every font on the system and reindex them (symlinks
    would have been better ;-)
  * ancient kernel and system.map files. We don't really want to run
    2.2.18 or 2.4.1 (mmm, filesystem corruption) on it.

We should probably look into getting a cheap 60Gb drive for this box,
given it's our most useful user box and gets quite a lot of use from
people hanging out in the clubroom doing geek stuff. Such a disk should
be about $180 AFAIK... I'll add it to the meeting agenda.

Cheers
Grahame