[tech] v6

David Manchester mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 28 01:15:22 WST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:52:41PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:15:11PM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
> > Right, so as far as IPv6 is concerned, you've bypassed all the
> > firewalling on hydra.  Perhaps a rethink of this strategy is in
> > order?
>
> Well there is no firewalling done on hydra, all filtering is done
> from UCS's end for v4 (for traffic charging reasons it seems). What
> v6 traffic do we want to block? I've put in a block on incoming
> connections to morwong and mussel over v6 for now.  Currently there
> is zero firewalling on WAIX, Parnet and internal UWA traffic.  Does
> this need rectifying or would it just inconvenience people?

Interestink.
I've logged into its about twice, so you're certainly better informed
than me, Bernard.
It'd probably be sane to do a bit of firewalling.
Lots of occasionally patched unix and windows boxes at a Uni make
a pretty nice target, if only for nogoodnics inside WAIX/Parnet.
Anyhoo, keep up the good work
d.
--
" I don't get mad.... I get stabby. "