[tech] whats happened

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Nov 21 01:23:21 WST 2003

Brain dump:

 - removed a bunch of system gids from NIS, as they were clashing
   and contained no actual users. pre-change version is in
   /var/yp/src/group.presystemripout. I don't *think* this should
   break anything, but if it does, just put the offending ones back.

 - dispense is happy again. Took some hacking to get it to work
   properly, but it'll get a rewrite these holidays. I promise :)

 - door should open too. hasn't been tested though.

 - IMAP server is now dovecot. It's more secure, faster, and doesn't
   let people crawl all over mooneye's filesystem

 - firewalls on all the reinstalled machines are in
   /etc/init.d/ucc-fw . They're pretty tight, so if something
   network related isn't working, it's most probably this.
   They are activated from /etc/rcS.d/S41ucc-fw, and also when
   bringing up the world-accessible aliases (ssh, telnet,
   flame-tunnel), to make sure the NAT stuff works.

Methinks that's all for now.

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham