[tech] whats happened

Paul Marinceu elixxir at ucc.asn.au
Fri Nov 21 15:42:35 WST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 02:04:45PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> In my experience firewall logs on busy machines become *very* noisy.
> Though, what do people think should be usefully logged? Broadcast
> traffic can probably be silently dropped (generally the biggest
> offender of noisy logs).

yeah, realized the unfeasibility of it and posted again. (forgot to cc you)

> Could be. Kernels weren't compiled with syn cookie support, but I
> can redo them with it on the weekend.

oh, don't bother then. recompiling the kernel isn't worth it

> > 	- other...
>
> Mmmm, vagueness :)

heh. yeah. left it open ended in case I think of more ;)

> I think they're relatively secure against being rooted by exploits
> for the moment (ie, until the next security update comes along).
> They should all be pretty safe from undiscovered buffer-overflow
> exploits too.

yeah should be good now. And as James pointed out, the network's not always
the problem, though it pays to have a secure one.

damn. one can't have it both. security and openness.

--
 Paul Marinceu
 http://elixxir.ucc.asn.au