[tech] IPv6 happier

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Mar 23 00:19:44 WST 2005

We discovered an extra spurious IPv6 route for UCC that was making
all sorts of things unhappy. This has been removed, and IPv6 at UCC
has since picked up. I've created the zones
ipv6.ucc.{asn,gu{ild,}.uwa.edu}.au to contain only IPv6 addresses,
to avoid issues with services that don't bind on v6.

The zone file is currently being updated by hand, as I couldn't find
the urge to hack up zonemake.py. The machines that I've confirmed
have working[1] and firewalled v6 access are:

 * mussel
 * martello
 * manbo
 * madako (not for general members)
 * mooneye (not for general members)
 * flying (not for general members, but should forward 11b wireless
   clients happily - haven't confirmed that yet).

This does mean that for people that have no free connectivity to UCC
because UCC WAIX[2] is down, you can now connect over IPv6 from
anywhere in the world for free and without tunneling![3]

Bernard.

[1] They work at the moment. They should work after a reboot. I
    haven't tested this.
[2] You know what I mean.
[3] Well, UCS does that for us. Or you might decide to do your own
    tunnel to get at the IPv4 internet over IPv6...

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>