[tech] Status of snack machine

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Fri Nov 17 15:17:52 WST 2006

On 17/11/06, Harry <harrymc at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Nick Bannon wrote:
>
> > http://www.veii.com/pages/zoomInParts.asp?backpage=search.asp&partID=51273
> >
> >  PartNumber :          VE8304
> >  Price :      $30.00 (each)
> >  Description :        DRIVER CHIP FOR AP COF/SNAK UCN5890A
> >  In Stock :   YES
>
> Good hunting Nick.
>
> Finding a number of parts for spares would have been desirable but it is
> cheaper that $100US but both costs are insignificant compared to
> diagnosis and resoldering effort _or_ time and prototyping costs of a
> re-engineered solution.

One question that occurs to me; how do we know that when we put the
chip in it won't be immediately cooked again because the fault is
actually somewhere else? Do we have enough information to verify that
the chip is the only problem - it seems kind of unlikely it'd
spontaenously fail without receiving some sort of nasty jolt.