[tech] Arctic's authentication with LDAP

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 15:32:07 WST 2006

I have no idea what's going on here.

Arctic refuses to authenticate users via LDAP for some reason. I think
it's actually a problem with the OpenLDAP server, but debugging it is
proving very difficult at the moment. We had logging turned off, and the
only error message on the server side I'm getting is:

"Error: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or
directory"

I have no idea if this is normal or not, mainly because I don't have any
previous logs to look back at.

I did upgrade (and briefly break) slapd for a little while a few days ago,
but it doesn't appear to have affected any other machines.

If it's not fixed in a couple of days, I'll just put Arctic back on NIS
for a while. It has been suggested that we try a non-OpenLDAP LDAP server,
but I think that might be a mit more long-term.

Cheers,

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au