[tech] Webserving moved to mussel

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Sun Apr 1 17:53:31 WST 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 05:44:47PM +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 17:32 +0800, Matt Johnston wrote:
>
> > Moving to mussel also is a step closer to pointing www.ucc
> > (and ucc. as well I guess) directly at the webserver so
> > cookies/virtualhosts etc work a lot more nicely. That can
> > wait though I guess - anyone see problems with that plan?
>
> I didn't think we reverse-proxied for speed.

Nah. But given there's some level of hassle involved in
changing the IP of the server, we may as well move it to one
that's actually non-sucky first.

I'd envision that we'd use .13.28 for the main webserver
(currently secure.ucc as an extra interface on mussel),
since that's already set up sanely for allowing connections
in but not establishing outbound. I guess we'd add a bright
IP too so that the bulk-www uncharged traffic trick works.

A note for those who haven't seen - the host
bulk-www.ucc.asn.au works the same as www.ucc.asn.au, but we
don't get charged per-meg for backtraffic. So if you have
large images or similar in your webspace, that URL is more
club-friendly. Something such as this in your
~/public-html/.htaccess will make files redirect automagically:
(change the username of course)

RewriteBase   /~matt
# some downloaders such as curl don't like 302s - keep a whitelist
RewriteCond  %{HTTP_USER_AGENT}  ^(Mozilla|msnbot|Wget|Opera).*
RewriteCond   %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Host} !(bulk-www.*|ext-mx.*)
RewriteRule   ^(minitar|mirror|dropbear|xxdiff|monotone|nowire|files|memtest)/(.
*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|gz|bz2|img|pdf|ps|exe|zip|dmg|swf|deb|avi|iso)$)  http://bu
lk-www.ucc.asn.au/~matt/$1/$2 [R]