[tech] Problems with arctic (eMac)

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Mon Apr 30 23:37:55 WST 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:09:31PM +0800, Scott Young wrote:
> I meant to check that with you before posting that. My mistake. I remember
> you were planning on doing it, and even had the discs and everything ready,
> correct?
>
> There was a problem with getting the machine to boot off the CD, right?

Nah, the reason was that Alex and I had already reinstalled
it at the Black Friday Lan a few weeks back.

My conjecture is that sucky NFS performance is the root
cause of much slowness. Not sure if we can tweak/recable to
improve the NFS, or whether maybe we should try Samba or
even netatalkd (or maybe not). I'm doubting it's bad
memory/disk, but it couldn't hurt running memtestosx (though
it's pay-for-gpl) and also the hardware test CD that came
with it.

Not sure about iTunes, I couldn't see anything in the logs.
Though Word was complaining about some broken resource fork
type thing - it probably should be reinstalled? It'll be
quicker starting up first time since it won't install fonts
for each user (maybe saving space too?).

Matt