[tech] VPN access via SNAP/UWA, RADIUS

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 19 22:09:56 WST 2007

While avoiding revision, I finished setting up the PPTP VPN on Madako,
which means that you can now leverage UCC's superior-value Internet
connectivity from anywhere on the UWA campus.

Via the SNAP wired or wireless network, you can connect to
snap.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (10.11.0.13) using PPTP and your UCC username and
password. Elsewhere on campus, use pptp.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (a CNAME to
madako).

I'll put a page on the website about this at some stage.

You can still SSH to 10.11.0.13 if you only want shell access.

PPTP's encryption is probably not grand, but my understanding of MS-CHAPv2
and MPPE leads me to believe that the stronger your password is the
better.

To support this, FreeRADIUS has been installed and configured on Mussel,
allowing MS-CHAPv2 authentication against LDAP. No EAP support has been
tested yet, although I think it should work.

Thanks to [TRS] and [MSH] for assistance in browbeating the hydra that is
the UCC primary firewall into submission.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey@