[tech] Snack, lpr, webcams... (was a particularly unuseful subject, Re: [hwc] hwc Digest, Vol 83, Issue 1)

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 2 17:33:07 WST 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Nick Bannon wrote:
> Things to fix:
>  * Webcams

I fixed the software side on Maroon, so that we now have two functioning
webcams.

It's running some Logitech USB thing (bought for us by rvvs89@, I think),
so I had to add usbcore, uchi_hcd and gspca to /etc/modules, add usbfs to
/etc/fstab, and rotate the camsource logfile (which had hit 2GB).

The webcam could do with focusing. The easiest way is to stop camsource
and run xawtv or similar on a nearby machine, but you need to be root to
do both these things. Otherwise you someone can do it by making an
adjustment and checking the webpage, but there's a 30 second delay there.

We can also add another USB camera to the configuration, which I will try
and remember to do after exams.

Novorossiisk could still use some TLC.

[DAA]