[tech] Apollo speed

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Wed Nov 14 14:40:50 WST 2007

I just had a play around with Apollo while having lunch, and I'm
reasonably sure I found the reason it's so slow to use. The first clue
was that it gets a lot faster if you wait around for twenty minutes.

It's building a spotlight index of your NFS mounted home directory
when you log in!

Luckily it's not indexing everything; I guess they chucked something
in 10.5 to notice when you have a network homedir and index _that_ but
not the whole mount. The fix is to run:
  mdutil -i off `readlink "/home"`/`echo "$HOME"|sed 's/^\/home\///g'`
when you log in.

I'm don't know how to do it, but I'm sure one of those handsome Arts
administrators knows where we can dump a shellscript with the above to
run it on login. If you run it on a user that isn't logged in, it
claims there isn't already an index; eg. we can't preemptively disable
it for everyone, at least not in a way I can see.

Basking in the suddenly fast Mac,
Grahame