[tech] mermaid and mussel (was [ucc] minutes 2007-10-05)

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Oct 14 22:47:20 WST 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, James Andrewartha wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, James Andrewartha wrote:
>
>> After an hour of fruitless playing around, Davyd had the idea of disabling
>> setserial, upon which everything worked. I've copied /boot onto the 120GB
>> drive, and am in the process of copying the rest of the filesystem on to the
>> xenmachines VG on the same drive. After that's done the 4GB drive from
>> mermaid can be removed and mussel's drive can be put in, turning mussel into
>> a domU.
>
> Mermaid is now running off the 120GB and I've unplugged the 4GB drive. I
> propose moving mussel across on Sunday evening, after the cleanup.

The move was fairly painless, the main problem was networking - udev
persistent network names, and vlans. I also stuck mussel's gig network
card into the new server. Vendserver now runs on mermaid for direct serial
port access. Printing is broken until someone works out how to do vlans
with xen.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |