[tech] Manbo/morwong downtime, heat

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 23 23:42:56 WST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:40:26PM +0900, James Cox wrote:
> If we feel like moving to a more robust AC setup (by which I mean physically
> as well), I have a honking great window mount unit which would probably keep
> the entire machine room a toasty 20 degrees.

Depending on how honking wide it is, that could be handy. We've had
two small window box units, gibson and atacama, running side by side.
Occasionally one will ice up. During the heat of summer we definitely
need both to run everything. As Davyd mentioned, gibson died last year,
so due to recent weather some of the machines were shut down.

gibson and atacama are 45cm wide each, with a 6cm foam-filled gap spare
in the window. gibson (bought 20051217) is in its 5 year warranty,
a GAF Control technician is coming out, it might be fixed or regassed
cheaply. (thanks, [DAA]! )

Failing that, there's yours, or we can get a cheap replacement any day
of the week.

manbo (the Sun E6000), backups and /services has been up for a few days,
though tomorrow'll be a hot one. ([TRS] unplugged a few of its CPU boards,
which saves 110W each)

morwong (the AlphaServer) was shut down for a bit (use a decent shutdown
grace period, [AHC]!), it's on at this very minute.

manbo's jobs might get moved to musundo (the SunFire V480) soon. musundo's
smaller and slower (though faster at things we might actually want to do).

Machines are doomed to a tenuous and transitory existence in the
UCC. Sometimes we get a neat box to play with! ...but things break, they
take space and power and nothing ever seems to get used quite as much as
we'd like. It's nice when they can perform an important job for a while,
but thankfully, nothing's indispensible.

In memoriam - Astrum piscis piscis.

Nick.

----- Forwarded message from Adrian Chadd <adrian at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> -----