[tech] Breaking out some of Mussel's services.

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 01:39:12 WST 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, James French wrote:

> > Does the slapd replication stuff work these days? It used to be a real
> > pain in the arse to get working, I think I managed to get it going
> > once. If we had a backup LDAP server, we'd be able to get in (although
> > I guess you'd have to wait for query to the dead LDAP primary server
> > to time out.)
>
> We have martello doing backup, not sure what the status is, someone
> did mention something about SSL biting us. Trs80, Zanchey comments?

We have slapd replication, the issue is PAM failover doesn't work when
doing LDAP with TLS. This may be fixed in lenny.

> It's not exactly hard to break those services out onto another VM.
> Last I checked we still had some resources available on Mermaid. Even
> if we have to scale back Mussel's resources slightly and gave those to
> another machine, that'd get us past the out of memory issues (though
> not away from the CPU getting thrashed).

I've moved the steam server onto martello, it was the most resource-hungry
thing on mussel (slapd itself coming a close second). IMAP/POP are on
mooneye, they were affected by the broken LDAP failover.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |