[tech] Olive (Cisco 2900) decomissioned

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 20 01:23:31 WST 2008

Because the best time to make core network changes is clearly when the
network is in heavy use, I used the Charity Vigil to finally decomission
Olive, our Cisco 2900, which has served as one of the core switches for a
good length of time.

In the process I discovered that Lorenzo's Fa0/48 is dead, and the LEDs
on the entire fourth FastEthernet module are broken. Exciting times.

Still, this reduces the bottlenecks in the UCC network so that all
100-megabit ports are sharing a 1-gigabit inter-switch trunk, rather than
some being limited to sharing another 100meg.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member - Ask Me About Our SLA!
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au