[tech] New Clubroom Machine: Sidderrog

James French frenchie at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 3 23:46:37 WST 2009

Hi All,

Trs80 and I setup debian on one of the Sun Blade 150s we recently
acquired from EECE. In keeping with the tradition of naming clubroom
Suns after fish starting with S, Rufus selected the name Sidderrog
[1].

The machine is setup with /away and user logins. As a reference, these
boxes aren't happy with the xorg drivers that are bundled in Lenny.
After much prodding Trs80 was able to get X to work by upgrading from
Lenny to testing.

At present X works but not much other than xdm is installed. As this
box doesn't have a great deal of processor or memory, we probably want
to think about whether or not we want to actually install desktop
environments on it or have it connect via XDMCP to mersau.

[JCF]

[1] http://fishbase.org/ComNames/CommonNameSummary.php?autoctr=74446