[tech] Usernames in dispense

Scott Young splintax at ucc.asn.au
Thu Feb 26 18:38:54 WST 2009

It seems like there's a bug in dispense that allows you to query (with
`dispense acct`) non-existent accounts with the same name as an
existing account, but different capitalization:

$ dispense acct splintax
Splintax       $-16.62 (minus no bytes)
$ dispense acct Splintax
Splintax       $  0.00 (minus no bytes)
$ dispense acct SplIntAx +1 "test"
SplIntAx       $  0.01 (minus no bytes)
$ dispense acct Splintax
Splintax       $  0.00 (minus no bytes)

Dispense capitalizes the first letter of your username regardless of
whether or not it's capitalized in your command, which makes things
even more confusing.

Just thought I'd send a quick email out to ask all coke members to
make sure they only dispense to lower-case usernames. (I stumbled
across this by running `dispense acct Zanchey`.) I'm not sure whether
there are people out there interested in fixing bugs in dispense.

[SJY]