[tech] New gear

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jan 17 21:23:20 WST 2009

Courtesy of Fugro FSI, the UCC now possesses 16 1U servers. They are dual
single-core Xeon 2.4GHz machines with 3GB ECC Registered RAM.

They only come with single 40GB (or so) ATA drives, which are likely to be
unreliable having spent working lives as scratch disks. Dual Gigabit
Ethernet interfaces which might be useful.

Two have gone to blinken@, I know adrian@ would like another couple for
his Squid cluster when he gets back in the country, and I'm considering
acquiring one.

There's also three 2U Dell PowerEdge 2650 servers (sans drives) and a 1U
IBM X-series 335, which have shown up from (I think) iiNet, which gives us
a fair chunk of new (to UCC) hardware. I have no real plans for what to do
with it all yet, although we could probably replace Mooneye (perhaps with
a VM, although not Xen because the networking seems to suck hard).

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey@