[tech] New gear

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 20 18:23:30 WST 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, David Adam wrote:

> Courtesy of Fugro FSI, the UCC now possesses 16 1U servers. They are dual
> single-core Xeon 2.4GHz machines with 3GB ECC Registered RAM.
>
> They only come with single 40GB (or so) ATA drives, which are likely to be
> unreliable having spent working lives as scratch disks. Dual Gigabit
> Ethernet interfaces which might be useful.

We now have an additional 12, bringing the total to 24 (as two have
already disappeared to blinken@). I think we can safely give one away to
adrianw@ if it's for a good cause.

Not sure about the rest - might be worth sitting down on Saturday evening
post-cleanup and inventorying everything. I was thinking about offering
them on tech-contacts for a nominal sum if we have plenty to spare.

[DAA]