[tech] Apollo Rebuilt

James French frenchie at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 5 20:37:22 WST 2009

Hi All,

I rebuilt Apollo this evening but it still needs a whole heap of
software installed. If anyone wants to tackle that, Openoffice,
Firefox, Adium, Quicksilver, VLC, Cord, Cyberduck are probably a good
start.

SSH access is restricted accmurphy but I only did that until I got
everything up and running so I'll fix that up tomorrow. I haven't
reactivated fast user switching as to be honest it makes using the
machine pain when users leave their sessions running for weeks eating
all the memory. Is your firefox session _really_ that important?

For documentation purposes to save people a bit of pain in future:
- Apollo's hardware was just before 10.5 was released and has since
been firmware updated, it does not like 10.4 at all.
- It may still boot from it's hardware restore disk?
- All of the media, apple care and other supporting documentation is
in the Apple care box now in the machine room.
- Home directories require modification of /etc/auto_master and then a
symlink to the appropriate location in /net

Frenchie