[tech] Power situation in Machine Room

Duncan Sargeant dunc+wheel at dunc.org
Thu Oct 15 20:36:12 WST 2009

Hmm, got distracted and didn't send this email ...

That looks way better than the Krone Highway stuff I keep ripping out ...
Krone have learnt something it seems.  I can probably backhand some Panduit
velcro and possibly WMPFSE (1RU Horiz. CM) UCC's way with a little notice.

How wide is the rack?  I can imagine its just a 600mm rack but if there's
any room either side of the rack mounts, vertical CM is the way to go, also
a vertical PDU reduces your power cable runs.

I would say longer domestic power strips are perfectly fine as long as you
get them tested by an electrician and don't exceed the load rating.  Do not
run screws through the plastic to mount them like I have seen done at some
mine sites #stupid.  Get the ones with mounting holes or just cable tie
them.

There is a lot to say on cable management, you could write a book on the
subject.  Dry reading for most.  I'll just say that the correct length
cables make all the difference :-)

,dunc