[tech] Haiku on chaenopsis

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:40:14 WST 2009

Hi all,

I have set up Haiku on two USB thumbdrives. Haiku is a rather neat
alternative OS in the style of BeOS. While technically only an alpha,
it's generally stable and well polished, and I encourage you to try it
out.

Currently, chaenopsis - the thinterm in the corner near the filing
cabniet - boots from these thumbdrives. Trying it out is as simple as:
 - choosing whether you want the alpha (stable-ish) or SVN (less
stable) version. The alpha is on a black 1GB thumbdrive, and the SVN
version is on a white and yellow 4GB thumbdrive.
 - plugging the chosen thumbdrive into chaenopsis, and booting.

Once booted, applications are accessible from the main menu, which is
the feather icon in the top left. If you're looking for:
 - A web browser: try "BeZilla Browser" in the Applications menu (it
takes a while to load, be patient). Gmail and Facebook work.
 - A terminal: "Terminal" in the Applications menu. SSH, gcc, git, svn
and some other useful utilities are pre-installed. (note that you need
to ssh to martello.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au, not just martello)

Lots of other applications and cool demos are installed.

If either of the thumbdrives refuse to boot, I can reimage them. I'm
working on a way for anyone to be able to do this - stay tuned after
exams. Currently, it requires root privileges to dd onto a thumbdrive,
and the images are stored in my insecure home directory, so that will
need fixed.

I'd welcome any feedback.

Enjoy,
Daniel Axtens