[tech] Management LAN

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 21:14:40 WST 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Matt Didcoe wrote:

> It was mentioned the other day by David I think (when we were talking about
> switches) - we have servers with LOM and DRAC, so a management LAN doesn't
> seem like a terrible idea.
>
> What are peoples thoughts on the topic?

We already have one. Most of the switches (except olive) and the LOM kit
are already on it.

VLAN 1. VLAN 4 was the original management VLAN but that has been killed
off as the Alloy gigabit switch required management on VLAN 1.

Address space is 192.168.2/24. I've been putting things in DNS as well.

This is all in /home/wheel/docs/NetworkTopology (although the rest of that
file needs updating) and on http://wiki.ucc.asn.au/Network#InternalVLANs .

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey@