[tech] Changes to the way the website works.

James French frenchie at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 10 16:26:20 WST 2010

Hi All,

I've been poking around with HTTP at UCC today.

Mussel is now the primary webserver and serves most of its UCC web
content directly without being proxied by mooneye. That includes:
www.ucc.asn.au
<member>.ucc.asn.au

Mermaid still proxies few bits and pieces to mussel direct (CVS, MTN),
it also still serves the vast majority of member domains (as we don't
control that DNS). Mooneye also hosts some things direct such as the
Unisfa and UCC wikis and phonehome. It also proxies for a number of
domains that it is configured to receive mail for (unisfa, unigames
etc).

I'm hoping this should get us out of some of the pain we've been
having with the reliability of mooneye of late. The job still needs
work at this point, but it's a first step that I'm hoping others will
progress it further from here.

F.