[tech] Windows Server licence

Matt Didcoe mattman at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 14 22:24:44 WST 2010

Evening all,

In rather happy news (as opposed to everything else this week), I've manage to score us a free Windows Server 2008R2 Standard license for use at UCC, provided it remains for non-commercial purposes (a total saving of ~$260 based on the figure previously provided to committee for approval).

<thanks> Thanks must go to Frenchie (who went "why the fuck haven't you asked before we pay money to ITS?"), Deborah Youd at ITS for putting me in contact with Microsoft, Claire Jorgensen (national account manager at Microsoft) and most importantly, Andrew Parsons, who is the Dreamspark coordinator for Australia and one of Microsoft Australia's Academic Evangelists, who approved using a Dreamspark licence for a purpose it wasn't intended. </thanks>

That money can now potentially go into getting Windows 7 on the few boxes in the clubroom that are capable of handling it.

Anyone have a preference which machine it gets installed on?

Cheers,
Matt Didcoe [MRD]
UCC Wheel Member