[tech] [Subnet-administrators] New University-wide Wireless Network - Impact of IP Address Changes

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 17:05:01 WST 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Brian Greene wrote:
> You may be aware that a new University-wide Wireless Network is
> currently being developed by ITS.  Users will logon to this new Wireless
> Network using their Pheme credentials.
>
> You may also be aware of the acute shortage of IP V4 addresses
> worldwide.  Due to this shortage, a number of IP addresses currently
> used by the SNAP Wireless Network will need to be re-allocated to the
> new Wireless Network.
>
> This may have an impact on your Faculty, School or Business Unit if any
> local systems have been set up to use reserved IP address ranges to
> authorize deeper access to any networks from the SNAP wireless network.
> In addition, please note that the new Wireless Network will not use
> static IP Addresses for Users.
>
> To address this situation, we seek your input and assistance to inform
> the ITS Project Team of any concerns you may have.
>
> Your attendance at a consultation session from 10:00 - 12:00pm on 22
> July 2010 at the Webb Lecture Theatre (G.21) Geology and Geography (To
> be confirmed) to discuss how these changes may affect you and what steps
> need to be taken to ensure a smooth transition off the SNAP Wireless
> network will be much appreciated.
>
> If you cannot attend during this time, please nominate a delegate from
> your area as it is crucial for ITS to understand the impact of these
> changes on your area.

[MRD] has volunteered to go along to this for us, so I thought I'd write
some notes on how UCC uses SNAP for him and for those that are interested.

UCC currently has the SNAP VLAN (11) routed to us as a tagged VLAN. This
VLAN uses 10.11/16 and is not routed anywhere (mostly). Madako is
configured to host PPTP and SSH on 10.11.0.13 so that anyone can associate
to SNAP and connect to (and through) UCC without requiring a UWA VPN
account.

My understanding is that the new wireless/wired access system will now be
authenticated using UWA credentials at layer 2, before an IP address is
assigned. This will render the services on 10.11.0.13 useless and mean
that all UCC members will require a UWA account to access the UCC using
the (non-clubroom) wireless.

Among other things, this will mean that CSSC's clubroom computer will no
longer have Internet access, as they pay for an account for a VPN
connection.

I'm slightly intrigued by the idea that the private IP space is running
out at UWA - we have a large slice of the 172.26 block, but that's not
used by SNAP so I don't think it's under thread.

Am I missing anything?

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au