[tech] IPv6 at increasing usage

Adrian Woodley Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org
Fri Jul 16 10:44:54 WST 2010

On 15/07/10 20:59, David Adam wrote:
> So, this works. Kind of. http://silmor.de/66 was my starting point.
>
> Basically, if your PPTP client supports IPv6 (e.g. mpd5 on FreeBSD,
> Windows Vista or newer, pptpclient on Linux), the server will negotiate a
> link-local IPv6 address (fe80::$SOMEVAL) with your client.
>
> Then /etc/ppp/ipv6-up.d/global-ipv6 runs, which is below. In short, we run
> a new instance of RADVD for each link, and hand the client out an address
> based on the pppX interface number.
>
> This means you get a dynamic(ish) IP but which is globally routeable. You
> only get one; you cannot automatically route a subnet. This requires
> prefix delegation and DHCPv6, which is the next step, I guess.
>
> I'd be keen to hear from people who have this working on platforms that
> aren't mpd5 or Linux's pptpclient - in particular, I can't make it work on
> NetworkManager yet.
>
> Also, UCC's IPv6 uplink is currently down, so all you can do to make sure
> it works is ping6 mooneye.ipv6.ucc.asn.au. In the future, everything will
> work.
>
> David Adam
> UCC Wheel Member
> zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au

I've used OpenVPN to provide a globally routeable IPv6 address to my
laptop, with a reasonable degree of success. Currently it calls a basic
shell script at each end to allocate the v6 addresses and routes
statically. This would obviously need to be re-thought for a more
wide-scale deployment, to dynamically and intelligently allocate these
addresses. Also I by-passed NetworkManager and used the native OpenVPN
config. OpenVPN starts at boot and connects as soon as a default gateway
is available. With a little bit of smarts, it should be trivial to drop
something into if-up.d and get check for an existing IPv6 address and
route before starting the VPN. I based my config on [1] and [2], with my
own personal twist (laziness).

Another alternative would be a miredo[3] server. Both the client and
server are packaged for Ubuntu and support FreeBSD and OSX. (No doubt
OpenBSD isn't so lucky and windows can go jump).

[1] http://www.zagbot.com/openvpn_ipv6_tunnel.html
[2] http://silmor.de/64
[3] http://www.remlab.net/miredo/

Cheers,