[tech] New clubroom machine and graphics card

Harry harrymc at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 19:01:21 WST 2010

Hi Scott

Scott Young wrote:
> I think Anil was suggesting that the Phenom has lower performance (per
> core) than the i5, despite having 'only' 4 cores. 6 cores will rarely
> be useful and the i5 may be superior in other respects (I don't know).

Yes, that's how I interpreted Anil's argument. If the six cores run at 2.0GHz
(or whatever) and the four cores run at 2.8GHz then running a single core is
higher performance on the four core CPU. Isn't that the trend, more cores
running at a lower clock ?

I'm unsure but if you can't make it run multi-core for anything useful it may
be false economy even getting the cheaper six core CPU.

But I may be totally confused.

Can someone explain in what situations all six cores can be run ? I thought
that many things don't take advantage of them. But if OS and/or apps can light
them all up, it's a different ballgame.

All the best
Harry