[tech] Weird napoli locking(?) issue

Mark Glossop ucc at cueballcentral.com
Thu Oct 14 12:14:51 WST 2010

On 14/10/10 11:29, somebody called Daniel Axtens (danielax at gmail.com) wrote
this:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having issues with re-saving files on napoli - an initial save
> will succeed, but any subsequent attempts to modify the file fail.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>  - Open a file, say report.tex with TeXShop (the problem also occurs
> with OpenOffice)
>  - make a change to the file and save it. The save should succeed.
>  - make another change to the file and attempt to save it. The save
> will fail with a totally uninformative information message.
>
> Other information:
>  - ls -la@ report.tex:
>
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 dja  wheel  4340 14 Oct 11:18 report.tex
> com.apple.FinderInfo   32
>
> I don't really know how to pull out the contents of FinderInfo.
>
> I suspect it's something to do with the network, but IANA mac expert.
>
> -- d

Glib answer?

com.apple.FinderInfo is filesystem metadata in [HFS+ extended attributes]
for the Finder :-D

More concrete answer?

It contains information that the Finder can use. Just running FSMegaInfo [1]
on ~/.DS_Store on my machine gives me:

$ FSMegaInfo -v getxattr .DS_Store com.apple.FinderInfo
getxattr .DS_Store com.apple.FinderInfo
    data:
        fileType      = 0x00000000 ('????')
        fileCreator   = 0x00000000 ('????')
        finderFlags   = 0x4000
        location.v    = 0
        location.h    = 0
        reservedField = 0
        reserved1[1]        = 0
        reserved1[2]        = 0
        reserved1[3]        = 0
        reserved1[4]        = 0
        extendedFinderFlags = 0x0000
        reserved2           = 0
        putAwayFolderID     = 0

I have no idea if that helps with the underlying issue however - hopefully
it's a starting point, and it may spur further discussion...no time for more
comments right now; sorry :-(

[1] GIYF - developer.apple.com should have the source.

Cheers,
M.
--
Mark Glossop